Thursday, April 14, 2011

A small PSA

Here's my small story and a quick Public Service Announcement.

Hazel tagged along to a photoshoot with me on Wednesday. She was SUCH a good girl! She was helpful, a great listener and would sit when I asked her to, ate her snack to keep out of the way, etc. It was a beautiful day and we were in a wide open space at the park, so she really wasn't wanting to sit in her stroller. She opted to walk with me and would hold my hand as we went from location to location around the park. For our last photo op, we were walking and a few times she would stumble and I'd lift her by the wrist and we'd continue on. Until, she stopped dead in her tracks and started crying. Now, I thought she was a bit tired and was getting dramatic so I left her to cry as we walked another 5 ft or so and began doing pictures. Eventually she walked to me, sat in my lap and continued to scream. I could not figure this girl out! After about 15min, we walked back to the car and I cradled her in my arms.... and she fell asleep! She has not taken a morning nap since December, so I began to silently panic. Is she sick? Did she get stung or bit by something? She woke up briefly when I buckled her in her seat, but was out again as we drove to get the boys from school. When we got to school, instead of running around and goofing off as usual, she kept saying "Owie! Night Night!". All of the parents at school knew this was out of character for her and none of us could figure it out. She finally did say "Owie, hand!" But none of us could see anything on either hand. So she'd lay her head back on my chest and try to fall asleep. I was freaking out.
Back at home, I soon realized she was not using her left hand or arm. At all. It was practically lifeless at her side. She wouldn't pick up her food, or her sippy. When I tried to help her she'd scream out in serious pain. I immediately called the Doctor, but had to wait for a nurse to call me back. So, I put her down for a nap and waited.
About 2 hours later, the nurse calls and says we should come in immediately. Again- PANIC! We get to  the office as soon as we can and our Ped is in the room before the nurse is done asking her questions.

What was it?
Nurse Maids Elbow.

This occurs when the ligament that runs along the top of the radius (the bone on the thumb side of your arm connecting your wrist and elbow) slips off. It most often occurs in children under 4 when they are grabbed or pulled by their wrist. It is, apparently, quite common. She was in serious pain, unable to move her arm. Our ped explained what she was going to do to fix it and then gently grabbed Hazel's arm, put pressure at the elbow, turned her arm palm side up and lifted her hand to her shoulder. *Pop* Hazel screamed her sweet eyes out, but was immediately able to use her arm and hand. She was pretty hesitant to use it for a while as she thought it would still hurt, but otherwise she was completely healed.

So, please use caution when holding your child's hand!! Thankfully, it's an easy fix, but obvisouly so painful that her sweet body could not take it and she continuously fell asleep. My ped says not to lift children by their wrists, swing them by their wrists, etc. Always under the armpits! Some children, once they have this happen once, are more susceptible to it, but usually it is a one time event.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...