Proverbs 4:18
But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day.
Welcome, to Light Of Dawn Charter School!
So far... so good. I think Homeschooling is the BEST part of our day, honestly. It's everything else that is hard with four...
but school, school is good! Korben is doing so well! I have seen amazing improvements over the last month in his handwriting, reading comprehension and attention span. I have also learned that if he was in a regular school, I might not be getting such good reports. He is wiggly, squirmy, goofy and in the beginning, could barely focus. We have worked out some kinks and now he is far excelling, even do extra work and moving us at a faster pace than I had originally planned for.
I had to learn to give him some grace, an extra dose of patience and find ways to channel all of that energy.
Each morning, we try to do a 30min bike ride. This burns a lot of energy, gives him plenty of fresh air, and helps him be able to sit for school.
If there is a time when I have to read to him, I hand out lacing cards or coloring pages relative to the subject. He is able to recall nearly everything I read if he is able to multi-task.
Fidgeting too much in his seat? He can do Math problems for hours if he is standing up.
I've also learned that breaks are good for everyone. Snack breaks, potty breaks, coffee breaks, sanity breaks. We all need them. We all function better with them.
Flexibility is key and every situation has a lesson. If we don't get science done in the morning, we'll finish it while the girls nap, or even once Dad is home. If the baby is crying and I can't give all of my attention to school, he is learning patience. Chores? He is learning how to have a servant's heart. Every day, we focus on diligence, kindness, obedience, peace and joy.
Each school day is new and exciting and so far, we are having so much fun learning together.

1 comments:
Megan, I'm so happy to see you share your ideas for a fidgety boy (or girl!). I used a lot of those while teaching in public schools. It is amazing to see the immediate difference in attention and focus if you give their large muscles something to do. Balancing equipment (like a see-saw to stand on) is another great tool to help them focus.
I love how you dicided on the name of your school! We're still thinking over here. :)
Post a Comment