Saturday, April 26, 2008

What a week...

When your week begins with one child biting a large hole in his tongue, you'd think that be adventure enough... "Oh, no!" cry the Ockander children, "We want more!"

Wednesday morning, Korben began throwing up. AN hour later, Brody was throwing up, too. Great. A stomach virus is sweeping through our household... and it''s 70 degrees outside! We should be playing! Both boys threw up off and on most of the day. Korben's last vomit was around 7pm, just before bed. He slept all night...

Thursday he wakes up with a temp about 102. By lunchtime, it's nearing 104 and he is sleeping almost constantly. Brody is better and goes to school. Meanwhile, Korben sleeps, and his fever gets worse and worse...

Friday, his fever breaks around 12:30am and he's able to sleep more comfortably. I think, 'Great! He's better!' No, no, no.... here comes the diarrhea. YUCK! Poor baby. We put him back in a diaper which, could possibly be the most traumatic event of his life. By lunch, he's too weak to sip from a straw and I take him to see our Pediatrician. Dr. Bargen says that she'd admit a kiddo to the hospital like this in many cases if she didn't trust the parents to care for him, but since she knows us she wants to spare us that trauma for now. We run an Electrolyte panel and it comes back low, but not low enough to warrant a hospital stay. We return home and he eats dinner!

11:20pm... Korben wakes up in a fit. He's kicking, screaming, he can't look us in the eyes and he just yells out "no!" for nearly an hour- with no tears. When he calms down, I load him up and we're off to the E.R. He had to receive an I.V. (he was so brave) and dozed a bit for the couple of hours we spent there. Finally, around 2:45am, he's released and we head home. He talks the whole way home and even visits while I get him ready for bed. He seems back to himself!

This morning, he woke up pretty upset, but was very hungry and was much happier after eating an entire banana and some cereal. He then slept on the couch for about an hour. When he wakes up, he's VERY irritable, screaming, pushing Eli... naughty, naughty. I ask him what he needs to be happy and he tells me his pillow. So I give him his pillow and he proceeds to fall asleep on his bedroom floor for another hour and twenty minutes or so. We were able to get him to eat some lunch and he spent a few minutes outside before getting tired again. Looks like he's finally on the mend, though!

We believe that he has Rotavirus and the reason Eli has been spared getting sick is because he had a Rotavirus vaccine, whereas Korben didn't.

Hopefully this is the end of our drama for a LONG time.

1 comments:

anne said...

Poor Megan and boys! I can't imagine. Take care of yourself too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...