Friday, May 20, 2011

Our Lessons This Week

This week we talked about diligence and how we work hard for our loved ones and those we don't know- because of God's example in service. We learned about insects... and just in time! Our ants arrived for our ant farm!! This has been such an incredible week-long science experiment! We have sketched the parts of the ant, learned that it's "pinchers" are called mandibles and they use the mandibles to break down food as well as carry objects. We also learned that ants do not have ears or noses.

We added the sane to our ant hill, the ants and then some food and waited.... and waited. By day 3 they were still clumping together, cannibalizing one another and not tunneling. I did a bit of research and added a few drops of sugar water to the sand and voila! Tunnels! And they work hard! We also believe they like banana better than carrot. After eating and drinking, they have been working so hard! We LOVE watching them and even Brody and I take the ant hill down and study them sometimes- it's been a neat experiment in behavior, teamwork, diligence, eating for energy, etc.

I've only taken photos with my phone so these aren't the greatest quality. The boys love watching them as does Hazel- she exclaims, "Anns! Anns!" and if you ask her if an ant has ears she says "Nooooo!"


2 comments:

gigglesandgumballs said...

I enjoyed seeing your ants too...even though I hate ants! Probably because we have so many of them here...I will have to try this activity....some year.

Courtney said...

I love your ant hill. I've been talking about getting one of those, they look so cool. I'm glad to see you are enjoying it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...