Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Korben Screams... Eli Dreams

Eli is 5 weeks old today! I am so grateful for the speed in which time has gone by, and yet am sad because he's no longer my newborn! He's growing fast into a chubby little baby! Korben is still adjusting to his new life as a big brother. Thankfully, he is no longer hitting Eli. He now smoothers him (quite literally sometimes) with hugs and kisses, often without even being prompted. He then will kiss me, Brody, himself, his toys, his reflection in the mirror, or even, as he did tonight, his bowl and spoon. He has received so much praise for being sweet to Eli, that now he does the same to anything he can get his little lips on. Oh my little lover boy.

We are in the middle of my second week alone with the boys as Brody is back in school after Spring Break and all family has left. Most days seem to go well,although we've had our EXTREMELY rough times where the 3 of us alternate who is in tears. It's definitely a tough job, but I feel more complete with Eli here. He's definitely needed in our family.

Every Wednesday and Thursday Brody has night class, so these are L O N G days for us. I do dinner, bath and bed for both boys on my own. Last week I had both boys asleep by 7:20... tonight, I laid Korben down at 7:15 and he screamed for half an hour while Eli decided he wanted to take 5min catnaps, nurse, then take another catnap before waking again!! Finally, by 7:45 both boys were sleeping... until after 8 when Eli felt that a 20min nap was sufficient and he was hungry again. Just as I laid him down in the bassinet next to our bed, Korben began wailing. I went in to comfort him after he continued to cry for a few minutes but he wouldn't calm down. So, desperately tired, I brought him into our bed. He continued to scream, squawk, yelp and throw himself dramatically all over the bed until, of course, Eli wakes up. So I pick up the baby and hold him while Korben lies next to me not missing a beat in his fit. Eli's eyes are wide open as if in complete terror, but then, to my disbelief, he falls asleep almost instantly! And stays asleep! The toddler banshee continues his rage, and the baby sleeps. I had a theory when I was pregnant that Eli didn't want to come out because he heard all the screaming his brother was doing and was petrified of what awaited him in the outside world... now I know I was incorrect. He was warm and cozy in my belly while his brother "sang" him to sleep multiple times a day! I wouldn't want to come out either! I laid Eli down and he remains asleep even now. Korben, though, worked himself up enough to begin hyperventilating, upsetting himself even more. I threw a pillow over my head (don't try this at home- it angers the beast) and tried to ignore him, but he only began his famous "alligator death roll" all over the bed. Finally, after half an hour, Korben began to fall asleep... while sitting up. I've spied on him doing this once before and about peed myself it was so funny. This time, I whispered to him to lay down on the bed. He grabbed his blanket, fell backwards and hasn't made a peep since. He's on Brody's side, so he can move him when he gets home!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the news. i am behind in replying to you. Korben has provided a good example of conditioning and generalization in his desire to first kiss his brother and get praise and now he kisses everything! Sorry - I am a psych prof still, retired or otherwise. Actually, i am back teching two courses this semester!!!!!!!
God bless you all.
Dr BAD

Unknown said...

AAAaaaahhhhh memories, of me walking around with Katie attached and nursing, and chasing you around while you dumped baby powder, pulled curtains down,pulled every toy you owned out, potty training (with the wiping), reading, fixing 3 meals, and snacks, baths,all while nursing a baby. You will become very good at doing everything with one hand!! Keep up the good sense of humor, laughter through tears!
Love you sweetie

Brittney said...

Oh Megan! Please call me anytime. I would love to come over and give you a hand with the boys; especially during Brody's night classes. The boys are so beautiful and I think you are doing such a wonderful job. Being a mom is such a big job. I love the blog and intend to read it regularly. Great idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...