Sunday, January 26, 2014

Whats my WHY

I'm writing this and feeling very nervous, very vulnerable. But my heart feels heavy and I think sharing will alleviate that weight. Even if no one else sees this- putting it out there makes me feel bolder. More brave.

I am a Noonday Ambassador. I know. I know. You've seen my posts on Facebook. You've seen my pictures, heard me share about the jewelry I was wearing. But what I really need you to know is WHY. Why I do this. Why my hearts is so passionate for the poor, the orphaned, for women and children I have never seen and, and likely will never see. For faces unknown, stories unheard, voices in the shadows.

My parents instilled in me a great love for others. Ive been an eye-witness to their acts of selflessness and have tried to model them, made in their image, wanted to exude the same kindness and love I saw so freely pour from them. As a young adult I entered the world of Mission work. I saw poverty first-hand. I saw sadness, hopelessness, grief and darkness. But I also saw joy. I saw hope. There were small twinkles in the eyes of those we beheld as we tried to give from our hands and our hearts. I love these people. The ones Ive seen and the millions more who suffer, but desire change.

Then, I became a mama. And I love it. Its changed me. But as I sunk deeper into those roles of mother, wife, housekeeper, chef, teacher... I sought out my WHY. Why do I mother the way I do... because of that deep love for my children and for the hope they will become even greater. For the hope they will learn to love and respect all people. But I wrestled too with questions of- Am I enough? Did I do enough? Can I do more? And not just with my children, but for myself. Who was I becoming and was it enough? The pressure was great and powerful. It was weighty. It was mighty and I felt as if I was crumbling beneath it.

A few years ago, I saw a documentary on PBS called Half The Sky. I quickly grabbed the book, but the messages were so strong it took me nearly half a year to finish it. Yes, I have struggles. Yes, I have doubts. But how were those compared to the least of these? The stories released me from my burden of self and showed me ways to overcome. I felt blessed even more to have my family close, to not worry if we could put food in their bellies, clothes on their backs, or send them to school. The immense struggles of millions to do just that, to beg each night, to pray that tomorrow you wont have to sell one child into trafficking just to feed the others... I am blessed. We are blessed.



When Noonday came into my life six months ago, I knew. I knew this was my chance to be both mother and advocate. To share my passion and drive to alleviate poverty. To change the world. To empower women, to prevent orphans... ALL of these issue, and so many more are at the heart of Noonday. I am not in this for my own financial gain. I am in this to watch first-hand as lives are transformed.Noonday is my platform to share my greater vision to witness lives transformed.

Noonday started as an adoption fundraiser for the founder. It started with two Artisans rolling intricately beautiful paper beads in Uganda. Three years later, it is reaching thousands of Artisans in 13 countries. This is a movement. This is power. This is women in the states who share a similar passion as mine and we are invited into the stories of our Artisans . My job, each day as I put on my jewelry is not to sell, sell, sell... my job is to be a vehicle of change. To see that twinkle grow into a spark, to watch that spark burn and catch fire in the lives of others. Noonday is allowing people to have jobs, where three years ago there were no jobs. Not even for the few who were blessed to be educated. There were NO JOBS. Children were being orphaned by families who could not afford to stay together. Girls sold as sex slaves or entering a sex trade to help provide an income for their families. Girls were becoming brides years before they were ready. People were dying of something as simple and preventable as hunger. But, through grace, and beauty and hope and the opportunity of sustainable income, these sweet beautiful people are thriving.

This is my WHY. This is why, if I call you or ask you again and again if you'd like to partner with me in a Trunk Show, its not because I need something. Its because millions of our fellow mothers, sisters, and daughters need you. I'm not asking for my benefit. I'm asking because my heart aches and grieves and I need to do something... and right now, from my corner of the world, from my laptop in the suburbs, surrounded by my little lovelies... this is what I CAN do. This is enough. I am enough. I am being allowed into a story that is well-beyond my own personal strength and design.

And I'd love if you wanted to join me.

And if you don't, I'm ok with that too.

Really. I am.

There is no pressure from me, no judgement, no disappointment. I will ask you to pray for those around he globe. Those in our own country and those who we will never meet. Those in suffering, those who need peace and grace and hope. Pray for them. And if Noonday isn't a way you can choose to jump into the story, I hope you find your own way. Because you, too, are enough. You, too, can create change and foster greatness in others.

What is YOUR why?



Want to know more?

MeganOckander.NoondayCollection.com

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...